Thursday, April 15, 2010

$7,041 and counting!

Whenever I share that I am "running Boston," people make the assumption that I qualified. Which then makes me feel like I have to explain that I didn't. Which, for then makes me feel sort of lame--like I am not a TRUE Boston Marathoner because I got a free pass into the race. But then I remind myself WHY I am doing this.

I am running for the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. My mom was treated here, so it has personal, emotional ties for me. 100% of donations go to INNOVATIVE BASIC CANCER RESEARCH. This is important. The Claudia Adams Barr Program in Innovative Basic Cancer Research is unique because it enables research initiatives that cannot be supported through any other mechanism. It provides financial resources for young DFCI scientists and their brilliant novel ideas that are too daring to secure funding from traditional sources. Sometimes the Barr Program also supports more senior scientists who are striking out in a completely new, uncharted direction. The idea is that after two years of funding, Barr Program investigators will have advanced their projects far enough that ongoing success looks likely. Now they can attract more conventional funding.

My fundraising goal is $10,000...please help me reach it! You aren't just helping me reach my goal--you are honoring EVERYONE you have every known that is or has suffered with cancer by helping to fund THE CURE!

This will probably be my last blog before the race. Unless I am up with insomnia the night before! I will take all of your well wishes with me from Hopkinton to Boston. My running goal is two-fold: to beat my 2008 time and to ENJOY the race.

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment