Friday, April 18, 2014

It's Time

20 years ago this week, I came from college after getting the call from my Dad that it was “time.”  Mom was home with us, resting in a hospital bed in the living room.  Dear friends and family filled the house.  There were a lot of stories, a lot of laughs and many more tears as we all spent our last days with Patty.  On April 21st at 10:45 pm, Mom died peacefully--her hands being held by those that loved her so much.

That night, Regan, Sean, and I went for a walk around the neighborhood, arms linked.  We said confidently that Mom would keep close to one another for the rest of our lives.  After that, we saw two shooting stars.  And, she followed through on her promise.

Mom certainly has her way with messages.  After completing my first AND second Boston Marathons, Mom treated me to a beautiful rainbow spanning the sky.  Mom’s wink to me.

Today, 20 years later, I am up early.  I slept restlessly, looking at the clock off and on since 3 am.  Again, it is “time.”  I am headed up to Boston.  

Unlike 20 years ago, I am anticipating this trip with enormous excitement.  On Monday, April 21st, I will be taking on my 5th Boston Marathon in memory of Patty.  Last year, I picked up a new buddy to honor, Jonathan Smyth.  Jonathan and Patty are buried 2 headstones apart in Wadsworth Cemetery in Sudbury, MA.  

Mom and Jonathan fought the good fight against cancer with the help of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.  As part of the Dana-Farber Marathon Challenge team for 5 race seasons, I have raised over $50,000 (and counting...).  For this, I am immensely proud.

If you have contributed this year or in the past, Thank You.  Keep me in your thoughts and prayers on Monday.  My bib # is 26821 in you feel so inclined to track my progress.  

No comments:

Post a Comment